GloryBe Restoration
Marina Fire


The starboard side of the boat when we started the restoration.



First thing to do was take out the old planks that needed replacing. We couldn't take them all off at once because then we would have lost the shape of the boat, so we tried to take out every other plank, then put in the new frames, then replace the planks we removed, then go back and take out and replace the other planks.


In some cases the new frames had to be adjusted to ensure the new plank would go onto a fair surface. In some cases material had to be removed from the new frames (as in this photo where a grinder is being used for that) and in some cases material had to be added to the new frames. In that case we epoxied a small shim onto the outside of the new frame and faired it appropriately.



When multiple adjacent planks were off the boat we needed to mark where the edge of the new plank would be. We used a small batten to mark where the edge of the new plank would go.


We then laid a thin doorskin batten in the area the new plank was going to go. We used this spiling baton to make marks which we would use later to draw the lines on the plank where it should be cut.


A spiling clock measures a constant distance from the edge of the plank onto the spiling batten.


The spiling batten is then placed on the plank and the same block measures a constant distance out from the marks on the batten to the plank itself.


The marks on the plank are connected using a batten to draw a fair line.


Then we cut the plank.



Some planks needed to be backed out (this plane has a convex bottom) k so it will sit tightly against the frame even where the frame curves.


It generally takes multiple times to hold the plank up to the boat and check the fit, take it down and plane it where needed to make small adjustments, then try it again.


When the plank is finally ready, we put "boat sauce" on the back of the it to help preserve it.


Putting the plank into place.



Using wedges to position the planks right next to each other prior to fastening them in.



Fastening planks.


Once we put in the screws to hold the planks to the frames, we went back and used galvanizing spray (the gray color in this picture) on the heads of the fasteners where the screwdriver may have knocked off the galvanized coating. Then we filled the holes with wood plugs which we cut from scraps of the red cedar.


Using the drill press to make plugs (to cover the screw holes).


We dipped the plugs into epoxy then put them in the boat.



Tapping the plugs gently into place.




Trimming off the ends of the plugs which sit over the heads of the fasteners.